Monday, November 22, 2010

My first three weeks, and then some

November 17, 2010

It's been three weeks to the day since I moved here. I've made some new friends and rekindled old friendships as well. I've visited a few neighborhoods that I thought I would like and have been surprised to find that I do like most of them. There's something to do in this city for everyone; lots of tourist things, plenty of city parks (Volunteer Park is great, so is Gas Works for a breathtaking view of the city on a clear day/night), and lots of coffee. I know what buses take me to Capitol hill, Trader Joe's, downtown and to Safeco Field if I wanted to go to a sporting event (I don't).

My roommates are kind hippies. They enjoy weed a lot. (Don't worry Mom and Dad I don't join in.) They have lots to offer as far as household goods and have done an amazing job making sure I'm included and feel a part of the house. It would be a lie if I didn't say I missed home. I do. I miss Jana, Cory and Ira. I miss my own family. The shock of how far away I live is setting in and the three hour time zone makes it worse when at 8pm I get the urge to call home and realize every decent human in the EST is in bed asleep or facebooking until they get tired enough to fall asleep (ahem... Dad...). It's then I turn to the city and realize all the family I haven't met yet!

Over the past week I've had several conversations with my sister that have made me realize some great truths. 1. Just because I don't like someone doesn't mean I can't love them. 2. There are so many people who have never experienced love. 3. There are many people who have no clue what it even means to love others. Including myself.

I've also had the chance to do some reading. Greek mythology? Yep. So Long See You Tomorrow? For sure. The Stranger (a Seattle newspaper with local events)? Three issues cover to cover. 1984 and Practical Demonkeeping are on my roster. So if you know any profound or profoundly funny books, please send me some titles and I'll gladly check them out!

On a side note: they call Seattle the Emerald City. I haven't done the research as to why they call it that. But I will say this, IF Seattle is the emerald City, then the crows here are the flying monkeys.

1 comment: