Sunday, December 5, 2010

picninc, lightning

So, on my last visit to Grand Rapids my dearest friend, Jana, let me borrow some books. One such book was a collection of poetry by Billy Collins entitled "Picnic, Lightning." While I've only read through the first part, I've come across some great passages that have really spoken to me. In all, this collection is incredible: about nothing and everything - life's mysteries so easily put on paper. I'm envious to say the least. He can capture an emotion or truth with such simplicity I wonder why it takes me so long to figure it out...

My absolute favorite quote (from what I've read so far) is this:
"no matter what the size the aquarium of one's learning,
another colored pebble can always be dropped in."
- from "What I Learned Today"

How true? I hope I can remember that.


No comments:

Post a Comment