Monday, December 6, 2010

Somewhere, Out There, or Stars

It was an emotional day. Not because of anything in particular, but because I realized I feel so alone. I have all these people around me, 563, 374 people to be exact, but I am a face in a dark, swirling sea of people. I long for a community of my own, but how is it I can still feel like I don't belong? How can I be in a city of so many amazing, wonderful people and still feel as if I am the only person walking around trying to be happy, engaged and full of life and just be so alone? Am I destined for a life of introverted loneliness? I don't believe so. So now I am faced with the staggering truth: HOW do I begin to find my community? Or does community just happen; does it fall in your lap?

So there's my starting point. The honeymoon is over. I am alone. Not for long, but for now.

A final thought before I go to bed: I love going outside, looking up at the stars and realizing just where I am; that I know my family and friends can look up into the same night sky and see exactly what I am looking at. They put things in perspective for me and allow me to get my bearings in life. If I ever question anything, they remind me they have their fixed course and so do I.

And, so don't I.

4 comments:

  1. "An American Tail" for sure, but also a reference to "Les Miserables." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each in their season returns and returns and is always the same... :) <3 Oh, I love you. You are not truly alone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, too Elizabeth! I received your Christmas card today! You are a lovely, lovely person!!

    ReplyDelete